Coffee applied rectally has the following properties.
- An astringent. This is an herbal property that means it peels the top layer of skin or mucous membrane. This is helpful for some healing, as the top layer of skin or mucous membrane is often ready to come off anyway, and is loaded with toxins. So it is like cleaning the surface layer of the mucous membrane of the colon and perhaps the liver, as well.
- Supports increased peristalsis and cause the colon emptying its contents more completely.
Repeated enemas, especially accompanied by colon massage, helps remove impacted feces and food residues, which is common.Dr. Peter Lechner, who conducted a trial of the Gerson cancer therapy in the post-surgical treatment of metastasized colorectal cancers under the aegis of the Landeskrankenhaus of Graz, Austria, reported in 1984, “Coffee enemas have a definite effect on the colon which can be observed with an endoscope.”
- Colon Hydrotherapy and the coffee enema can help stimulate, balance and clear many reflex points that run from the colon segments to every organ and tissue of the body. This is not well known, but is true. The practical application of this fact is that a problem in a particular part of the colon, such as the ascending colon, can cause a serious disorder elsewhere in the body through a type of reflex or resonance effect. Bernard Jensen, in his book entitled The Science And Practice Of Iridology, documents this idea with case histories, including flat-plate x-rays of the colon.
- Anti-oxidant effects. Singlet oxygen atoms cause oxidation in the body tissues. An example of oxidation occurs when a bite is taken from an apple and the surface turns brown. This also occurs inside our bodies and is very damaging.Coffee contains powerful anti-oxidant chemicals that prevent oxidation. These are particularly helpful for the liver, which is highly susceptible to oxidant damage. Unlike other antioxidants such as vitamin C, alpha lipoic acid and vitamin E, the antioxidants in coffee are far more yang in Chinese medical terminology.A nutritional balancing program and coffee retention enemas reduce the need for antioxidants because the program removes oxidant sources. These include certain minerals such as iron, copper, manganese and aluminum, among others.
- Increased pH or alkalinity of the entire intestinal tract. This is due to enhanced bile flow, most likely. Increasing the alkalinity of the small intestine makes it much less hospitable for parasites. It also helps destroy many other types of infections in the small and large intestines. This can help improve the quality of the flora of the intestines and reduce dysbiosis or improper bugs in the intestines.
- Palmitic acids. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, researchers in the lab of Lee Wattenberg identified salts of palmitic acids (kahweol and cafestol palmitate) in coffee. These act as potent enhancers of glutathione S-transferase which is an important enzyme in the liver. It is part of a major detoxification system that catalyzes the binding of many toxins from the blood stream to the sulfhydryl group of glutathione. For this reason, the glutathione S-transferase system is an important mechanism to get rid of cancer causing chemicals.
- Adding coffee beans to the diets of mice enhanced glutathione S-transferase 600% in the liver and 700% in the small bowel. A similar stimulation by coffee of glutathione S-transferase in humans is probable.
Dr. Max Gerson, MD, a major proponent of the use of coffee enemas, wrote that:“Heubner and Meyer of Goettingen University, Germany had shown in animal models that rectal administration of caffeine would dilate bile ducts and promote bile flow. Theophylline and theobromine, major constituents of coffee, dilate blood vessels and counter inflammation of the gut.The palmitates of coffee enhance glutathione S-transferase, which is responsible for the removal of many toxins from the blood. Finally, the water in the enema stimulates peristalsis or the movement of toxic substances from the duodenum or upper intestine, through the intestine, and out through the rectum.”
- Caffeine effects. Caffeine is a mild central nervous stimulant, but not as toxic as most stimulants. Its effects include, dilation of the bile ducts. The editors of Physiological Chemistry and Physics stated, “caffeine enemas cause dilation of bile ducts, which facilitates excretion of toxic cancer breakdown products by the liver and dialysis of toxic products from blood across the colonic wall.”This property of caffeine, when administered rectally, is called a choleretic. A choleretic is a substance that increases bile flow. While other agents classed as choleretics increase bile flow from the liver, most do little to enhance detoxifying enzyme systems, and they do not ensure the passage of bile from the intestines out the rectum. Bile is normally reabsorbed up to 9 or 10 times before working its way out the intestines in feces.The enzyme enhancing ability of the coffee enema is unique among choleretics. Because it does not allow as much reabsorption of toxic bile by the liver across the gut wall, it is a powerful means of detoxifying the blood stream through existing enzyme systems in the liver and small bowel. Because clinical practice has shown coffee enemas to be well tolerated by patients when used as frequently as every four hours, the coffee enema may be viewed as one of the most effective and interesting choleretics in the medical literature.
- Nutritional effects – selenium. Coffee contains a very desirable form of selenium needed by almost everyone today. Few foods contain this particularly necessary compound, which is not well-absorbed by mouth, but is better absorbed through the rectum. This is a primary reason for the enzymatic activity of coffee upon liver detoxification pathways.
- Nutritional effects – zinc. Coffee also contains a small amount of an important zinc compound. Once again, it is very needed today, and is not well absorbed by mouth, but is better absorbed rectally.
- Coffee antidotes or neutralizes many harmful vibrations or frequencies of illness in the body. This unusual trait of coffee, not shared by other herbs or remedies, is very well known in the science of homeopathy. Patients are often told by homeopathic doctors never to drink coffee. The coffee can negate the effects of many vibrational remedies, including homeopathic remedies. This is a very important reason for using coffee enemas. The coffee seems able to clear a wide range of harmful subtle energies in the human system in a way that no other plant or animal substance can do. Repeated use of the coffee implant clears these vibrational frequencies at deeper and deeper levels each time the procedure is used. These energies definitely affect our health, although they are quite subtle.
- In acupuncture terms, coffee enemas enhance the liver meridian and balance the large intestine meridian. In the science of acupuncture, restoring health depends upon balancing about a dozen energy channels or meridians that run up and down the body. Introducing water and coffee into the colon weakens or inhibits the large intestine meridian somewhat. This tends to enhance the liver meridian, according to acupuncture theory.Commonly, the liver is weak and the large intestine meridian is over stimulated or overactive due to the presence of toxins in the large bowel. Even if it is not overactive, the effect of the coffee enema, in terms of acupuncture meridians, is to enhance the energy of the liver/gall bladder meridian to some degree.
- Protection against toxins in coffee. Coffee contains some toxic metals such as lead and cadmium, and some toxic alkaloids. Also, ground coffee may be somewhat rancid, as it contains polyunsaturated oils that can quickly become rancid. However, from our experience, when taken by rectum, these toxins are not absorbed nearly as much as when the coffee is taken orally. This occurs because the colon is designed to absorb nutrients, while filtering out and leaving behind toxic substances inside the colon. In fact, a healthy colon is quite amazing in its ability to absorb nutrients while protecting the body from a wide variety of toxic substances. This is the reason why drinking coffee is somewhat toxic, but coffee used in an enema is much less so. In fact, we have seen very little toxicity from repeated coffee retention enemas, while those who drink coffee regularly exhibit some toxicity from the beverage.
- Promotes downward motion. Retaining this enema for 15 minutes or so forces one’s attention downward. Two reasons for this are 1) the presence of a significant amount of water in the colon, and 2) the need to keep the anal sphincter shut tightly.
- The yang effect is due to a combination of the nutritional factors in coffee, and its ability to remove yin toxins from the body such as toxic metals and toxic chemicals.
- Sympathetic nervous system relaxation. Coffee enemas help relax the sympathetic or fight-or-flight nervous system. Many people report this. This may seem odd, since coffee contains caffeine, which is a stimulant.Possible reasons for relaxation of the sympathetic nervous system include: 1) stimulation of two important parasympathetic organs, the liver and the large intestine, 2) nutrients in the coffee, 3) removal of irritating toxins from the body rapidly and thoroughly, and 4) the relaxing downward motion of energy.
- Improved hydration. While it may seem minor, this can be a major benefit of coffee retention enemas. Many people are quite dehydrated today. Common reasons for dehydration are 1) not drinking enough water, 2) drinking incorrect types of water such as reverse osmosis water, which does not appear to hydrate the body well, and 3) ingesting substances that tend to dehydrate the body. These include all sugars, all fruit, caffeine and alcohol.Colon Hydrotherapy greatly improves the hydration of the body which also greatly enhances detoxification of the body and overall health.
- Improves activity of the energy centers. As energy moves downward it helps all of the energy centers or chakras, a Sanskrit word, to become more active and become more balanced.
- Reduced autointoxication. Autointoxication is the production of toxins within the body, usually due to the action of bacteria and yeasts upon partially digested food. Most is the result of fermentation or rotting (putrefaction) and a lot of it occurs in people’s large intestines. This can cause gas, bloating and foul smelling stools. However, even if it causes no symptoms, it damages health significantly, in some cases.By cleaning the colon of yeasts, parasites and other pathogenic organisms, and by increasing the bile flow, coffee enemas and Colon Hydrotherapy greatly reduce autointoxication.
- Reduced congestion of the internal organs. An effect of the caffeine and the astringent action of the coffee appear to help reduce congestion in the liver and elsewhere.
- Yeast and other parasite elimination from the colon. This may require repeated enemas and Colon Hydrotherapy. This is a wonderful benefit for some people whose colons are full of yeast. For this to occur, one must do several coffee enemas or colonics back to back, putting in a total of about 2 quarts of water into the colon. It helps to rub the colon area of the abdomen vigorously to get the water to penetrate into the pockets of the colon to dislodge the yeast organisms. Adding some crushed garlic to the enema water may help this a little by a chemical mechanism.
- Improving the skin. The body must eliminate poisons somehow. If the colon is not working well, the body must use alternative elimination channels. One of these is the skin. This causes skin eruptions including dermatitis, acne, eczema, psoriasis and perhaps other types of skin eruptions. The skin must compensate for inadequate elimination through the liver and colon. Coffee enemas assist the skin by restoring elimination through the liver and colon.
- Different from drinking coffee. The intestine has two circulatory systems attached to it. One system supplies the intestines with blood for maintenance of the intestinal tissues. The other system is called the portal system. It is a critical body system that draws all of the absorbed nutrients from the intestines and sends them directly to the liver.In other words, when you eat food, it does not go into the bloodstream, as everyone thinks. Only a tiny part of it does, which is the nutrients that are absorbed in the mouth, esophagus and stomach. All the rest of the nutrients go into the portal system and go to the liver, not the general bloodstream. Here, the nutrients are further processed by the liver before entering the main blood stream.So when coffee is introduced into the colon, it is absorbed directly into the liver through the colon wall. Coffee has a special affinity for the liver, and moving it there from the colon is very different than sending it to the liver by drinking it. When coffee is ingested by mouth, many of its herbal properties are destroyed.Coffee taken by mouth acts mainly as a stimulant, laxative, and perhaps a smooth muscle relaxant. One cup of regular coffee daily is okay for most people, but not recommended, and more is harmful.